Final Up to date: July 17, 2022, 20:55 IST
Joint opposition candidate for the vice-presidential election Margaret Alva on Sunday mentioned she accepted with “nice humility” her nomination for the August 6 ballot and thanked leaders of assorted events for reposing religion in her.
The previous Rajasthan governor is pitted in opposition to Nationwide Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate and West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankar.
“It’s a privilege and an honour to be nominated because the candidate of the joint opposition for the put up of Vice President of India. I settle for this nomination with nice humility and thank the leaders of the opposition for the religion they’ve put in me. Jai Hind,” Alva tweeted quickly after the opposition events introduced her title.
The leaders of assorted opposition events had met on the residence of NCP supremo Sharad Pawar to determine on the frequent candidate for the vp’s election.
The final date for submitting nominations is July 19.
Who’s Opposition’s VP choose Margaret Alva?@nikhil_lakhwani shares extra particulars
— News18 (@CNNnews18) July 17, 2022
WHO IS ALVA?
Alva, 80, was unanimously chosen by leaders of 17 opposition events to be the joint opposition candidate for the nation’s second prime constitutional put up.
- Born on April 14, 1942 in Magaluru, Alva has a BA, LLB from Mt Carmel Faculty and Authorities Regulation Faculty in Bengaluru. She married Niranjan Alva in 1964, with whom she has a daughter and three sons. Her husband died in 2018.
- Alva was elected to the Rajya Sabha 4 occasions and one time period to the Lok Sabha in 1999 when she received the elections from Uttara Kannada seat.
- Alva was made a central minister on the age of 42. She served as a minister underneath Rajiv Gandhi and PV Narasimha Rao.
- In 2008, Alva confronted controversy, after she alleged that tickets for Karnataka elections held that yr have been “offered”.
- Alva additionally served because the governor of Goa, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Uttarakhand.
It’s a privilege and an honour to be nominated because the candidate of the joint opposition for the put up of Vice President of India. I settle for this nomination with nice humility and thank the leaders of the opposition for the religion they’ve put in me.
Jai Hind 🇮🇳
— Margaret Alva (@alva_margaret) July 17, 2022
THE COMMON FACTORS
Dhankhar and Alva have a number of issues in frequent.
- Each have been the governor, union minister and have a Congress background to checklist just a few.
- Each even have a regulation diploma, have been one-time Lok Sabha member and share a Rajasthan connection. Whereas the Bharatiya Janata Social gathering-led NDA Dhankhar, 71, is a local of the state, the Opposition’s choose Alva, 80, has been its governor.
- Dhankhar, who was within the Janata Dal and the Congress earlier than becoming a member of the BJP, distinguished himself as a lawyer within the Rajasthan Excessive Court docket after which within the Supreme Court docket, whereas Alva has had a extra huge legislative expertise. She has been a four-term Rajya Sabha MP and was governor of Uttarakhand and Rajasthan when the Congress-led UPA was in energy on the Centre. She was additionally a minister within the governments headed by Rajiv Gandhi and P V Narasimha Rao.
- Dhankhar, additionally a former MLA, was a minister within the short-lived Chandra Shekhar authorities and was appointed the governor of West Bengal in July 2019 after Prime Minister Narendra Modi got here to energy once more.
- With the BJP having fun with a majority for the vice-presidential ballot, Dhankhar is all, however sure to beat his extra skilled rival to the vital constitutional put up.
With Company Inputs
Learn all of the Newest Information, Breaking Information, watch High Movies and Dwell TV right here.