Rajasthan Patrika writer The Patrika Group will likely be launching its first English information web site known as Catch. Catch will likely be New Delhi primarily based and headed by ex-Tehelka founding member and journalist Shoma Chaudhary, the place she’s going to accountable for the information and content material on the location. The founder and editor of Mail At this time, Bharat Bhushan, may even work on Catch as an editor. Former DNA and Tehelka journalist Kunal Majumder may even be working with Catch.
Vinny Ganju would be the chief working officer for Catchnews and be accountable for the operation and enterprise of Catchnews. He will likely be reporting to Catch’s administration. In accordance with the Patrika Group, Catch will publish authentic content material, each fast in addition to longer items. The Patrika Group claims that Catch will report on on a regular basis insurance policies and occasions with a concentrate on public curiosity.
The multimedia platform may even cowl social justice, plurality, fairness, freedom of speech, rule of regulation and particular person and constitutional rights. Catch is hiring massively for reporters throughout beats, sub editors, video editors, graphic designers and social media specialists. Exchange4Media studies that the Patrika Group had utilized for a TV license final 12 months.
Ex Tehelka Editor Shoma Chaudhury’s new media enterprise with Rajasthan Patrika will likely be known as ‘Catch’.
— Lutyens’ Spice (@LutyensSpice) October 25, 2014
In March this 12 months, The Patrika Group was among the many 28 candidates who had utilized for an e-auction of the primary batch of Section III FM Radio channels. This primary batch of Section III auctions comprised 135 FM radio channels throughout 69 cities.
In 2008, The Patrika Group had revamped and repositioned their web site to incorporate information protection from 50 cities. The group had then claimed to have 27 lakh web page views a month, and round 20 p.c NRI visitors.
The brand new media information scene in India has been exploding with the launch of many web sites just lately.
Among the current launches embrace:
– Final week, former editor of The Hindu, Siddharth Varadarajan, and one of many founding editors of DNA, Sidharth Bhatia, launched a web-based information publication known as The Wire. Former editor of Time Out Delhi, Raghu Karnad, has come on board as contributing editor. It has tied up with information businesses like Press Belief of India (PTI) and Indo-Asian Information Service (IANS) for content material and is outwardly trying to increase Rs 10-12 crore within the subsequent six months. The Wire will primarily concentrate on politics, financial system, science, exterior affairs, regulation and tradition.
– Atlantic Media’s mobile-first digital publication Quartz went dwell in India in June final 12 months. Quartz India presents each international and India-specific enterprise information protection and options.
– Raghav Bahl’s Quintillion Media’s mobile-focused digital enterprise The Quint went dwell in March this 12 months. Earlier in January, The Quint had began publishing tales on Fb as a preview to the brand new service.
– Nicely-known worldwide digital publications like The Huffington Submit and Buzzfeed additionally launched India editions final 12 months – Buzzfeed in August and The Huffington Submit in December. Curiously, former Quartz India editor Sruthijith KK was appointed editor of Huffington Submit India.
– Samir Patil led Scroll.in has been round for someday now. The digital each day had raised funding from the philanthropic enterprise capital agency Omidyar Community, with participation from New York-based Media Improvement Funding Fund (MDIF), in July final 12 months. It’s price noting that Scroll.in had a co-publishing cope with Quartz, as a part of which Scroll.in was anticipated to maintain all of the content material, whereas Quartz will maintain all of the monetization.
– In September final 12 months, The India At this time Group launched a brand new opinion-oriented website known as DailyO that gives commentary on information from varied classes like politics, sports activities, life, sci-tech, cash, humour and artwork & tradition.
– The New York Instances had launched India Ink and ZDNet launched its India version, on their very own.
– In 2011, Network18 launched FirstPost.com, a web-based information and views web site that gives a novel take and commentary on information – throughout Present Affairs, Politics, World, Enterprise, Investing, Economic system, Concepts, Dwelling, Bollywood and Sports activities. In 2013, it acquired humor website FakingNews.com for an undisclosed quantity.
Additionally learn: On New Media startups and media independence by Prem Panicker